Position Description: Executive Pastor (with focus on Family Life or Worship)
About Us: Rainier Avenue Church is a vibrant, multicultural and multigenerational Free Methodist congregation with a Sunday attendance of 400, located in the Rainier Valley neighborhood of Seattle, WA. For over a century, we have proclaimed the gospel of Jesus Christ while also pursuing the common good in one of the most diverse communities of the United States. Learn more on our website.
Position Purpose: This role is the builder for the architect, bringing church vision to life. As a partner to the Lead Pastor and leadership, you would lead implementation efforts to create operational effectiveness and impactful ministry programming. At the same time, you are a relational team player who actively mentors staff and lay leaders. You would also provide pastoral leadership for either Family Life Ministries or Worship Ministries, depending on your individual experience and gifting.
1. Christian maturity and a continued nurture of a personal relationship with Jesus.
2. Discerned calling towards pastoral ministry and a love for the local church.
3. Experience working cross-culturally, as well as a full commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and racial reconciliation as biblical values.
4. Experience as a senior operational and managerial leader in a mid-size (300-500 person) church environment or Christian organization preferred.
5. Confident working on and addressing issues related to the general operation of the church.
6. Has experience managing, mentoring, and developing other staff.
7. Ability to craft and maintain systems that identify, train and encourage church lay leaders.
8. Passion and experience working with families and married couples OR organizing and leading worship on Sunday morning.
9. Demonstrated history of working well with others in a team environment.
10. Ability to take direction, initiate, and work independently as well as in collaboration with others.
11. Understanding of Wesleyan theology and willingness to engage in Free Methodist life (ordination in Free Methodist Church preferred, or commitment to pursue
ordination within two years of start date).
12. Excellent gifts of leadership and administration, along with strong spoken and written communication skills, as well as computer literacy.
13. Bachelor’s Degree required, graduate degree in Theology or Pastoral Work recommended. Graduate degree in Organizational Management (or related degrees) also
B. Organizational Relationships:
1. Reports to the Senior Pastor and exercises the ministry under their oversight and counsel.
2. Partners with the Senior Pastor to support other staff roles
3. If serving as Family Ministry Pastor, would directly manage part-time children and youth staff
4. If serving as Worship Pastor, would work directly with volunteer and leaders of worship teams.
5. Works in collaboration with other full time pastors and administrators.
6. Works directly with the Personnel Subcommittee on staff development, as well as the church administrator and Board of Administration on issues of
church operations and policy.
C. Functional Responsibilities
o Church Operations & Administration – Champion the development of infrastructure and support areas related to the operations of the church. Also provide church
policy oversight and management in collaboration with the Administrator, Board, and appropriate staff and committees (will be a member of at least one board
o Pastoral Care – together with other pastoral staff, provide pastoral care to congregation members through visitations, counseling and prayer, as well as
participation in regular pastoral functions: Sunday service, sacraments, membership classes, etc. Would preach several times a
o Staff Support & Development – in partnership with the Senior Pastor and personnel subcommittee, help to support and develop all staff, especially through
creating systems and processes through which staff can pursue greater effectiveness.
o Oversee Ministry Team Leaders – maintain and strengthen the program through which lay leaders are identified, trained and cared for by staff (also known as our
Ministry Team Leaders, or MTL’s). Would also serve as a staff point of contact for specific ministries as necessary.
o EITHER Leadership for Family Ministry – oversee and strengthen our ministry to families, including children, youth, and married couples. Would directly manage
children and youth ministry staff members.
o OR Leadership for Worship Ministry – oversee both liturgical and administrative aspects of Sunday worship, including worship, audio and video teams. Would also
lead worship 1-2 times a month in rotation with volunteer worship leaders.
o Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Must work Sunday mornings (church services) and Wednesday mornings (all staff meeting), evenings and weekends as needed for church meetings and responding to
pastoral care requests.
1. This is a full-time exempt position.
2. Regular attendance at Sunday worship and active participation in the life of the church is assumed.
3. Three weeks paid vacation .
4. Salary commensurate with experience.
5. Benefits include health insurance, pension if ordained in the Free Methodist Church, generous sick and vacation time. Further details provided in the