Keep Christ in Your Family’s Christmas with an Advent Chain
by Jim Elzerman
We enter into the season of Advent on Sunday, November 30th. Advent is a time of preparation for the celebration of Christ’s coming into the world as a baby so long ago. Advent is also a time of anticipation — not of gifts under a Christmas tree, but of Christ’s return. With the ever-growing commercialization of the holiday, what can we do to focus our attention on the real meaning of Christmas?
Several years ago, when our children were young, I came across a fun way to include family devotions as a part of our Christmas preparations by making and using an Advent Chain. The fun begins with a family project to cut out and paste together 25 links for a paper chain. The links are numbered 1-25 and on each link is a different theme and scripture reference (see below). Hang the chain with 25th link at the top and remove one link each day during December leading up to Christmas, using the scripture for family devotions and the theme as a focus for prayer. It’s a handy way to count off the days until Christmas and learn more about the real meaning of the holiday.
1. A TIME OF SHARING – Read John 3:1-21
2. A TIME OF MEMORIES – Read Luke 1:68-79
3. A TIME FOR GREETINGS – Read Luke 1:39-55
4. A TIME FOR CHARITY – Read Matthew 25:31-40
5. A TIME FOR VISITING – Read Romans 15:1-7
6. A TIME OF HOPE – Read John 14:1-6
7. A TIME OF FAITH – Read Isaiah 55:6-11
8. A TIME OF PROMISE – Read Galatians 3:23-4:7
9. A TIME FOR CANDLES – Read John 11-14
10. A TIME FOR MUSIC – Read Psalm 150
11. A TIME FOR BEING IN TOUCH – Read John 15:1-11
12. A TIME OF RUSHING – Read Luke 10:38-42
13. A TIME FOR SINGING – Read Colossians 3:12-17
14. A TIME FOR FAMILY – Read Luke 1:5-80
15. A TIME FOR DECORATIONS – Read Psalm 118:19-29
16. A TIME FOR BAKING – Read John 6:32-40
17. A TIME FOR LOVE – Read 1 Thessalonians 3:11-13
18. A TIME OF SOLITUDE – Read 2 Corinthians 1:3-7
19. A TIME FOR REMEMBERING – Read Isaiah 25:6-9
20. A TIME OF PEACE – Read Matthew 11:25-30
21. A HOLIDAY – Read Hebrews 4:9-16
22. A TIME TO GIVE THANKS – Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-15
23. A TIME OF BLESSING – Read Ephesians 3:14-21
24. A TIME FOR GIFTS – Read Ephesians 2:4-10
25. GOD WITH US – Read Luke 2:1-20
You can write the themes and scripture references on your links using some colorful construction paper.
Be sure to focus your attention on the Christ this Christmas.