Reports to: Senior Pastor
POSITION PURPOSE AND SUMMARY:
To build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mentorship and fellowship) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model. The Youth Pastor has responsibility for, and provides oversight of, all church-related youth activities.
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth ministry at John Wesley Free Methodist Church. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of youth ministry to:
- love youth where they are
- encourage youth in developing their relationship to God
- provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
- challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and world
- The Youth Director, along with the Teen Leadership Team, will focus on teens ages 13-18 and help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach to reach new teens for Christ.
- The Youth Director, along with the Teen Leadership Team, will have a weekly youth service/group meeting.
- The Youth Director, along with the Teen Leadership Team, shall be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns, and needs of youth in the local church and community.
Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 7-12) and help recruit teachers in partnership with the Christian Education Essential Team.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget, including fund raising activities and results.
- Effective and efficient communication using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.). Maintain strong communication with teens, church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
- Make yourself available to youth and families in a variety of ways when opportunities exist (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.).
- Ensure that the Child Protection Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, and coordinates plans and activities with other church activities and functions.
- Be early and prepared for all scheduled meetings.
- Participates in continuing education opportunities from time to time when possible to stay current with youth leadership, and include volunteer staff when appropriate.
- Must embrace Christian discipline and Free Methodist doctrine and theology.
- Create a positive engaging environment of love, prayer, and biblical support for our youth.
- Pray for Senior Pastor, ministerial and administrative staff and church family.
- Must establish and foster exemplary relationships with staff/non-staff workers, church membership, business partners and community at large.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is highly recommended as a minimum requirement or at least three to five years of experience as a Youth Director or Youth Pastor.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry within the parameters of the Free Methodist Church.
- Must have strong organizational abilities, be a good listener and willing to learn, excellent written and verbal communication skills, familiar with Microsoft Office, and other social media technology.
- Individual should have conflict management skills, be a team player, tact and compassionate, with an ability to work with youth and diversity, along with volunteers.
- Individual must have a strong relationship with Jesus, feel called to youth ministry, and be enthusiastic and passionate about working with youth.
- A commitment to the John Wesley Free Methodist Church and the connectional denomination.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES (not limited to the following):
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
Interested individuals please contact Pastor Kenny Martin at Edward.firstname.lastname@example.org cell phone #240-461-4039