Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerk, Bookkeeper
The Director of Finance oversees the financial operations of Olive Branch Mission both domestically (currently multiple sites in Chicago, IL) and in foreign countries (currently Kimana, Kenya). The Director provides leadership, focus and technical guidance to the finance department to ensure that they operate with integrity, efficiency, and comply with applicable laws (local, State and Federal) and company policies. Their work is essential to present an accurate, reliable and trustworthy assessment of current financial status, plan for future growth and identify cost saving measures to sustain efficient operations.
The position will oversee operations involved in budgeting, financial presentation, annual audits, regulatory compliance, purchasing, contract management, investments, tax matters, debt management, accounts payable/receivable, donation collections and receipting and any other revenue and expense management. Regular reports will be presented to upper management as well as the Board of Directors. As a member of the senior management team, the Finance Director will be involved in strategic planning, evaluation, and professional development initiatives. The director will also interact with program directors and staff members to assure proper handling and forecasting of all financial matters.
Major Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Develop internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, and accounting.
• Prepare or direct preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, and/or reports required
by regulatory agencies.
• Serve as the primary liaison for the City of Chicago contracts awarded annually to operate OBM’s programs. Prepare budgets and vouchers for review and
• Provide leadership and/or coordination in the administrative, business planning, accounting and budgeting efforts of the company.
• Review and approve preparation and finalization of monthly and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for Olive Branch Mission Board of
• Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for administration, existing programs, and proposed new programs.
• Hire, manage and retain support staff.
• Coordinate all annual audit activities.
• Maintain good relations with colleagues, vendors, donors and other invested parties, willingly collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic
• Demonstrate resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems
Qualifications and Required Skills:
A Bachelor’s degree (BS) in finance or accounting is required and a MA/MBA in Business Management or Finance is preferred. A minimum of 7 years of progressively higher levels of leadership in accounting, finance or a related field is desired. CPA certification is not required, but would also be desired. Highly proficient computer skills in Excel, and financial management software such as Peachtree (now SAGE Accounting) or other financial software are essential in this position in order to produce accurate and understandable reports. A comfort with public speaking and presentation are highly beneficial. Some travel may be necessary, including to foreign countries.
Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to Olive Branch Mission’s mission and values will be considered as essential for success in the position.
• Experience in auditing, compliance, budget, governmental contracts, and resource development.
• Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team.
• Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, ideally in the nonprofit sector.
• Technological savvy, with an ability to point to examples of having worked with IT staff to develop and implement new processes and systems that
increased efficiency in a fast-moving environment
• Proven effectiveness leading professionals in finance and accounting.
• Flexible and a self-starter; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented.
• Competitive Salary
• Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance Options
• 403B Retirement Plan
• Paid personal leave time
8 Paid holidays
Please mail/email or fax resume or curriculum vitae to:
Olive Branch Mission
Attention Katrina Coleman
2636 W. Marquette Road
Chicago, Illinois 60629
No calls please..